Icarus Championship Wrestling

Welcome to the battleground for only the those who have transcended a mortal state and become a god of wrestling. This is there Battleground, entertain away.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

RP Format Info and a Guide for Beginners

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Risky Biznu

PostSubject: RP Format Info and a Guide for Beginners   Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:22 pm

A Guide to Successful Roleplaying

Roleplaying is the basis of any successful federation. Roleplays (RPs) are our lifeblood. Without RPs all we have are matches, and nobody wants to read a bunch of those. Otherwise the federation system wouldn’t exist in the first place.

That being said, we need to go over HOW to RP and, just as important, how to format it so we can use it.

It all starts with a story. What do you want to accomplish with this RP? Do you want to call someone out? That’s fine. Want to establish your character a bit more? Awesome, please do. Both of these examples can be achieved various ways: an interview, an in-ring promo, a stroll through town, a family dinner at the house. All valid ideas.

Now, when you’re writing an RP, what you’re really doing is telling a story. Write like you were telling someone a story from memory. Don’t tell us what someone is thinking. Show us! Instead of “Steve is confused” say “Steve tilts his head in confusion”. Stuff like that.

A big thing you need to remember when RPing is that THIS IS NOT TWG. Feds are a totally different thing that just use TWG as a base. As such, please avoid making any references to your in-game level or stats or anything like that. None of that matters. The story is king. The story decides who wins matches, not necessarily who has the better stats.

Similar to my last point, fed-exclusive tag teams and stables are possible. You DO NOT need to be a tag team or stable on TWG to be one in the fed. If you want to do so anyway, that’s fine. But it’s not necessary. If you want to make an NWO type group here, that’s totally possible.

RPs don’t have a set length to them. They can be as long or as short as you want them to be. However, too short or too long is still a problem. You need more than 5 lines of text to accomplish anything. And 500 lines can turn people off from reading it.

A lot of people like to involve other people’s character’s in their RPs. That’s okay so long as you have that person’s permission to use their character. And even then, it’d be best if you share with them just how you used their character. Some people have spent a lot of time ironing out their characters and would really prefer they are portrayed accurately.

The easiest way to make sure you’re doing this is to write an RP with that person. There are websites out there that allow real-time editing with other people. I use Etherpad.net. It’s basically Microsoft Word for multiple people to work on the same thing.

Now onto formatting. This is important, because any formatting that you don’t do, the staff has to do, and we’ve already got a ton of stuff on our plate.

Dialogue should be in the format of person:words. In my case, it’d be Risky Biznu: You’ll pay for that! We DO NOT use quotation marks around dialogue.

Dialogue should be bolded. There’s a nifty toolbar at the top of where you type to post here on the forum. The one we’re looking for is on the far left. The “B”

We will be using unique colors for character dialogue. The standard is red for heel and blue for face characters, so I recommend you use a version of that. If we decide a color change is necessary, we can do that on our end, so don’t worry too much about it.

Actions (really anything that isn’t dialogue) should be italicized. The button for this is the second one, the one right next to the one we use for bolding.

And of course, if you have any questions, you can always ask our GM or anyone else.

As an example for the kind of formatting I’m talking about, here’s a small portion of something I wrote a while back for another federation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The titantron comes to life, a wide spectrum of colors flashing randomly. The camera suddenly devolves to static. Several seconds later, a scene finally coming into view. Johnny Anderson Jr is riding shotgun in a car driven by a well dressed man.

Johnny Anderson Jr: Are we there yet?

Jeeves: No, sir. Just as I told you five minutes ago, we are not there yet.

Johnny Anderson Jr: Well why the hell not? We were supposed to be there yesterday! I was supposed to be there Saturday! It’s Monday! The thing literally starts in an hour!

Jeeves: I am very sorry, sir. However I cannot control the flow of traffic.

Johnny Anderson Jr: Yeah, well you said that last time I asked too.

Jeeves: Then why do you keep asking, sir?

Johnny turns away, crossing his arms like a petulant child.

Johnny Anderson Jr: Shut up. Who even asked you?

Jeeves: You did, sir.

Johnny harumphs, showing his annoyance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, that’s a bit short for an actual RP, but it should get the point across in terms of what we’re asking for formatting. No quotes. Actions italicized. Dialogue bolded.

Also, as you can see, it doesn’t even take place anywhere near the arena or the ring. That’s fine!

And the most important rule: Have Fun! That’s the whole reason we’re here, after all!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

RP Format Info and a Guide for Beginners
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Icarus Championship Wrestling :: ICW Show Section :: Week One Roleplay Zone-
Jump to: